Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Festival People

We are festival people-- not "carnival" people, but festival people (there is a big difference). Attach a noun (Crawfish, Rattlesnakes, Kolache, Watermelon, etc.) in front of the word Festival and you are almost guaranteed a visit from us. For those of you who have lived in this area, you know what a big deal the National Peanut Festival is. Popular television shows are preempted so that we can watch the crowning of Miss Peanut and Lil Miss Peanut, as well as the opening of the festival. Well, this year we took the kids not only to the festival, but to the Peanut Parade. It started with a big tractor that dumped a long trail of peanuts for everyone to collect:

The first 15 minutes were adorable: flatbeds adorned with beauty queens from the local area, local councilmen riding around in convertibles, school bands and cheerleaders.

The next 30 minutes were bearable: flatbeds adorned with more beauty queens from the area, more councilmen riding around in convertibles, and more school bands and cheerleaders.

After an hour and 30 minutes of beauty queens and councilmen, it was time to go. We made it through entry 170-- I am not sure how many more beauty queens we missed.

Then we headed to the Peanut Festival. Our first stop was the demolition derby. I didn't know that people really did that-- you know, crashing cars into one another for sport. Kaci loved it.

Then we went to the hog races. Yet another sport I didn't know existed.

A kind stranger gave us her extra ride tickets. The big ferris wheel was the family favorite. Jared decided to ride the swings, which he expected to be like the little kid ones he rode at Six Flags. As soon as it took off, his face froze in fear-- it was not like the little kid one he rode at Six Flags. It terrified him and he came off crying. Two rides later, and he still wasn't over it:

Since we didn't spend any money on the rides, we let the kids play a carnival game so they could win an overpriced and oversized useless toy. Their game of choice was the baseball pitching booth.



It was a full day enjoyed by all.

1 comment:

NesrstaFamily said...

I love the festivals too. I am gonna miss them and you guys as well. We were kind of sad to miss the peanut festival this year, but I am sure we will be back someday. I put a little ode to the festival in my post titled 'Missing Alabama.'