Saturday, October 17, 2009

On his Own Terms


Lucas didn't find Disney World to be worth all the hype. Here's a small collection of his thoughts the past few days.

Parades? Really? Is this what we drove 6 hours to see?
And why do these people continue to treat me like I don't know what's going on around me? Really, I'm not deaf. I knew Mommy wanted me to look at the camera, but I didn't want to.


All I want is to take a break from all you people and relax- this is supposed to be a vacation, right?




By the fourth day, Lucas had enough of the crowds, music, and silly looking hats and decided it was time to visit a new place on his terms.  He broke out in huge red welts that covered over 80% of his body.  What we thought was to be a short visit to the ER turned out to be an overnight stay at the Florida Children's Hospital (also sponsored by Walt Disney World but the nurses there aren't called cast members!).  We were too busy to take pictures when it was really bad. His chunky monkey body made it difficult to locate veins to put in an IV so there was quite a bit of screaming and writhing as multiple people worked at finding the best way to put an IV into his body. 

After his first round of steroids, things started to look up for our little man. 


Finally, a day to relax!  My own space and people here are all about me!  This is what I call a vacation.....


Jared and Kaci handled the change in plans like rock stars.  The original plan was to take Jared and Kaci to the parks while Ryan took Lucas to the ER-- we totally thought we would meet up later in the day.  The kids and I had just made it to the Magic Kingdom and could see the dancing for the opening ceremony when Ryan called to say that we had to get to the hospital immediately because Lucas was being transported by ambulance to the pediatric hospital.  Not much is more pathetic than showing your kids the gate to Disney then turning around to find a taxi.  Yes, they thought the taxi ride was pretty cool, but not as cool as Toon Town.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Lordy! Bless his heart!