Monday, January 21, 2008

Jared turns 5!

Five is a big number. A milestone, even. Next year, Jared will need two hands to signify his age. Next year, I will not be able to find a premade button that says, "I am 6 years old today!"- I will have to design my own. We will definitely be shopping in the Boys section at Target instead of the Toddlers' section. And my cute little toddler who has spent his past few years being obsessed with cuddly and smiling characters like Dumbo, Chicken Little and Lightning McQueen, has now moved onto characters that have no facial reactions or cute catch-phrases. Instead, his days are spent performing ninja-like moves and transforming into robots.

For his fifth birthday, Jared had a "Make your Own Pizza" party at Mellow Mushroom. It turned out well, but I am angry at myself for not having chef hats or aprons for all the kids because that would have been a great visual. Instead, it was a run-of-the-mill birthday party that was exactly as Jared wanted. Here are some of the highlights:




Now that he is five, Jared has set the following goals for himself:

*He will no longer use sippy cups.

*He will learn to tie his shoes.

*He wants to own every Transformer.

Jared continues to make me laugh everyday. I love the way he uses every part of his face to tell me a story. I love how he compartmentalizes information in his head in order to present a clear argument as to why he should (or should not) be allowed to do something. I love that he is Kaci's biggest cheerleader (although he is quick to point out to me that he is a boy and can't be a cheerleader) when it comes to her new accomplishments. I love his social and confident nature that allows him to make and keep friends. I love that he is now 5 and I hope I am always there to watch him blow out the candles on the cake of his choice.

1 comment:

NesrstaFamily said...

Oh my gosh, I love the goals. You give me such good ideas and advice. I miss the Mellow Mushroom so much. That party looks like so much fun Jared! Happy Birthday!

On a side note, my mother-in-law used to ask Ryan what he wanted to be when he grew up (every year since the age of like 4) and when Ryan turned 6, his answer was to be a helicopter pilot. Isn't that too funny? When she told me this, I thought of you because you do such a great job of documenting your children's wishes and goals. Keep it comin' Shannon! I love it!